Some practical and safety considerations for going outside
- Wear appropriate outdoor clothing, footwear and sunscreen, considering the changeable nature of our weather.
- Be mindful of traffic and other people.
- Consider what might support you if you would like to go outside and explore for a period of time.
- Bring a snack.
- Create a timeframe for your exploration
- Let someone know that you are going outside
To support your sense of awareness and staying present in the moment.
- Pause occasionally and tune into you breathing.
- Do a body scan, feeling the weight and connection of your feet on the earth.
- Move a little more vigourously.
- Make physical contact with something.
Children can be supported by an adult to engage with the tasks.
Useful tip for exploring with other members of your household: Agree on the boundaries of your exploration area before starting. Mark the boundaries together and agree on it together. This is especially important if you are exploring in a large area.